Search Engine Marketing is one of the single most important things a Digital Marketer will do to provide client acquisition. Let's take a look at the world of SEM, basic terminology and some essential practices that will help get you on your way to page one on Google search results.
Courtesy – MayaTechnoSoft
It’s all about having a good mix of owned, paid and earned media. These practices will both up your SEO ranking with Google, Bing and Yahoo to ensure you are being seen as well as ensuring your site is both trustworthy and noteworthy. This said SEM is not for the faint-hearted as it requires ongoing and constant updating and doesn’t have an ending.
It is an exciting world to be a part of and is constantly changing which makes it very much an ongoing challenge for the modern day Digital Marketer who is serious about obtaining optimum SEO results for his or her client.
The two main search engine marketing techniques for making a company and its products visible through search engines are: search engine optimisation (SEO) and paid search marketing or pay per click (PPC).
Video Courtesy – Ignite Visibility
Owned, earned and paid media explained
Owned Media is the company’s website, mobile site, blog page, social media platforms, company newsletter, online reports and your SEO efforts.
Earned Media is attention gained via the company's promotional efforts rather than paid media advertising such as content that is mentioned, shared, reposted or reviewed by others either socially or via links on blogs, websites or social media.
Paid Media is:
Social Media Boost Posting
Sponsored Ads or online Display Ads via Google Adwords
SEM: Search Engine Marketing
Pay-Per-Click or Paid Search Marketing
Organic – such as natural searches. Online Display Ads (Banners)
Affiliate Marketing: Paid per sale via blogs for example.
Influence Marketing: Produce stories for organisations
Paid Content Promotion
As we are all well aware, Google is the biggest search engine on the planet so if you’re not ranking well with them then you’re not being seen and your website is not performing at its full potential. Page one on Google is the holy grail in digital media circles and if your company’s website is not on page one, you are missing out on a large amount of client acquisition.
Google uses around 200 factors or signals within its search ranking algorithm. These include positive ranking factors which help boost position and negative factors or filters which are used to remove search engine spam from the index where SEO marketers have used unethical approaches to game the Google index.
Stats surrounding SEO
According to WME Group, businesses on the first page of search results reap 70% of Google’s internet traffic, 30% of total traffic is taken by the business ranking at number one and organic search results earned through SEO are 8.5 times more likely to be viewed than paid ads.
Content Marketing Model
This illustration displays the full process of a content marketing model provided by digital marketing group First10. It clearly shows what happens with produced content and the SEM process a company or individual should undergo to help provide excellent SERP results.
It is important for digital marketers to get this right. According to research conducted by Optify , 91% of searches on Google don’t go past page 1 of a search result and 50% don’t go past the first 3 results on page one.
Applying a content marketing strategy to your SEM practices is hard work and it doesn’t come easily however, by consistently creating rich, original copy you will begin to see a transition emerge which will ultimately lead to full-filling company objectives, gaining trust from your audience and increasing profits.
Essential SEM practices you should include:
1. Create Excellent Branded Content. This can be tricky but ensuring the content is not of poor quality e.g. no spelling or grammatical errors and a minimum of 600 words per page is essential.
2. On the subject of content, ensure you include all keywords throughout your website or blog and especially in the title and within the copy. You want to ensure your content is relevant to your keywords as Google will penalise you irrelevant, misleading and non-current information. For more information on adding the right key words to your copy, check out: ' Are you adding the right keywords to your copy'.
3. Fast load times . Google loves fast efficient pages that deliver relevant content quickly. The Google Page Speed Tool can help you with insights into page load times as well as bounce and exit rates.
4. Link building. Link building is an integral part of how search engines rank content such as encouraging your readers to ‘retweet’ or ‘share’ your content. Anything that encourages readers to link to your content, social networking or approaching influencers and other blog and websites such as Digg to help get your message out will also be beneficial.
5. Create video content. Don't underestimate what video content can do for your conversion rates. According to Thundera Multi Media, 70% of marketers report that video converts better than other content types.
Lastly and most importantly, measure your results! Although it is said that 'content is king', it’s not just content that will get you across the line. Checking your analytics to see what posts worked, which didn’t and where posts were most viewed will give you the ammunition you need to produce content that will have greater results within your SERP rankings. Also, by conducting a competitor analysis you can predict what customers want before they even want it. Analysing your data output can be done via backend analytic reports within blog creation software such as WordPress or via Google Webmaster Tools.
Webspam Content Violations
It is important to stay within Google’s strict guidelines or penalties may apply. In some cases, Google may even remove you from their search results altogether! Here’s a video that demonstrates which practices will decrease your SEO results and what to be aware of when creating organic content for your blog or website:
Google Content Violations courtesy: Google Web Masters
I hope this post has given you some good insights into best digital marketing practices practices, common terminology and how best to obtain high ranking SEO results. If you would like us to apply any of the above mentioned into your current digital strategy, please get in touch with one of our consultants today.